As part of a spec work awareness program, Yasmin Kercher and other design students at the Augsburg University of Applied Sciences have created this video that illustrates some students’ position on spec wok, design contests and crowdsourcing. Their premise is simple – by working on spec, designers are slapping other designers in the face. Judging by some of the reactions in the video, the slaps are very real. (Hat Tip: No!Spec)
Speaking about spec work, another crowdsourcing site has launched, and like the legions before it, promises to turn the graphic design industry on its ear. One small difference with these Logo Vendor cats though. They’re charging designers to work for free. Yep. According to their FAQ –
There is a small fee for Designers on a per project basis. The fee is small in comparison to the access of thousands of Buyers and Designers, easy facilitation of fund transfer, and protection of Copyright materials.
Guess it was only a matter of time before someone pulled this stunt. Cue clown graphic:
- Yet another anti-spec work initiative
- The Jon Engle vs. Stockart.com story – an anti-spec work parable?
- New! Spec work. Schmeck work. Proudly announcing our groovy new design contest factory!
- Spec work hackery redux. More of our work copied & entered into 99designs logo design contest
- Belgian design agencies shutter websites in virtual ‘strike’ against spec work